The UN will not associate with “a forced evacuation of the population” from Rafah, the secretary-general’s spokesman warned on Monday, reiterating that there is “no safe place” in the Gaza Strip to move the population, according to AFP
Bombings in RafahPhoto: Ismael Mohamad / UPI / Profimedia
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu recently ordered the army to prepare an offensive on this city in the southern Gaza Strip, where the UN says 1.4 million Palestinians are massed after fleeing the four-month-old war between Israel and Hamas. , following the October 7 attack by the Palestinian Islamist movement.
He said on Sunday that Israel would provide “safe passage” for the population to leave the city, without specifying where they could take refuge in the devastated territory.
Asked on Monday whether the UN would participate in such an evacuation, Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ spokesman insisted on “full respect for international law and the protection of civilians”.
“We will not associate ourselves with a forced displacement of the population,” he added, repeating that “in the current situation, there is no safe place in Gaza.”
“You cannot send people back to areas full of unexploded ordnance, not to mention homelessness,” the spokesman insisted, referring to the northern and central areas of this Palestinian territory.
He also once again condemned the insufficiency of humanitarian aid entering the Gaza Strip, warning that current stocks “could only last a few days”.
Last week, he had already stressed that the hundreds of thousands of people who have taken refuge in Rafah must be “protected”.
“We will not under any circumstances support forced displacement, which is against international law,” he added.
On the same topic: